I’m always looking for a way to make vegetables a little more exciting. These ham & cheese zucchini bites are great for a side to an entree, breakfast or just a quick snack on the go!
Yield: about 15 pieces
You will need:
1 1/2 cups packed grated zucchini drained of the water
2 large eggs + 1 egg white
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated cheese (I used Colby Jack)
1/3 cup chopped ham
1/4 cup finely minced onion
1-2 tsp grated parmesan cheese (optional)
salt & pepper to taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 and line a baking sheet with non-stick foil or spray generously with olive oil.
2. Wash the zucchini, cut the ends of each and with the skin on grate the zucchini on a plate that has been covered with a clean kitchen towel you don’t mind staining, or 2-3 heavy paper towels. Grate the zucchini over the towel and when done grating, lift the sides of the towel to form a ball around the zucchini and squeeze the water out over the sink. Put 1 1/2 cups drained zucchini in a medium mixing bowl off to the side.
3. In a small mixing bowl, combine the bread crumbs with 1-2 tsp grated parmesan cheese (optional/if desired) and add a little salt & pepper to taste (I usually just add a few twists of each from my shakers). Mix together and add to the zucchini in the mixing bowl.
4. Finely chop 1/4 cup of onion (about 1 small onion) and add to zucchini mixture.
5. Add 1/2 cup grated cheese (I recommend shredded colby jack, cheddar, pepper jack or mozzarella).
6. Chop some deli ham slices and add 1/3 cup chopped ham to the mixture.
7. Add the 2 eggs+1 egg white to the mixture and mix all items together well. Mixture will be wet/loose.
8. Using a 1 Tbsp cookie dough scoop if you have one, form into balls like you would if making a meatball. Place on baking sheet about 3/4-1″ apart. If you don’t have a cookie dough scoop, just use a regular soup spoon.
9. Bake at 375 for 22-25 minutes and serve warm.
Left overs can be stored in an air tight container for 2-3 days and warmed up in the microwave.